Friday, March 19, 2010

Recipe Review: Bulgur and Beef Stuffed Peppers

Eventually, I am going to get better at taking pictures of the food I make. But for now, I am just working on getting it "blogged."

In an effort to put away food for when the boy arrives, I am trying to make big recipes for dinner and freeze half to thaw and heat. Yesterday I stumbled across a list from Good Housekeeping of some interesting freezable foods that seem to have tiny bit more panache and fresh ingredients than the usual suggestions for freezing (King Ranch Chicken??). I decided on Bulgur and Beef Stuffed Peppers, because 1. I already had some beef and 2. it includes feta and dill, which I love and 3. I had been wanting to buy some bulgur anyways to make tabouli.

So last night I made 8 large stuffed peppers, and stowed away four of them. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

TWEAKS:
  • Anyone who knows Coach A would know that one pound of ground beef divided between two separate dinners is not nearly enough. I had about 3/4 of a pound of ground pork and veal leftover from the best meatball sliders ever. I threw this into the mix to make the meat to bulgur ratio a little larger. This of course resulted in a surplus of filling, which I saved this to thaw out and throw into some pitas paired with a greek salad.
  • Because I had my first cankle-sighting yesterday, I opted not to add any salt to the recipe. I figured the sodium in the low-sodium chicken broth and the feta cheese would be enough. It was enough... for me. Not a dish I would serve to company without adding the 1/4 teaspoon of salt the recipe calls for.

I would give this recipe a 7 out of 10, likely due to my lack of seasoning. The flavor of the filling was really good and the bulgur added a great texture. Though these peppers didn't blow my mind, it will be lovely to pull them out of the frrezer in a few weeks and have a hot filling meal ready with hardly any work.

Next week, I am going to try the Curried Sweet Potato Shephards Pie and freeze it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment